Syracuse VA Medical Center
Rome Community Based Outpatient Clinic
Rome Community Based Outpatient Clinic serves approximately 6500 Veterans in serving Oneida , Herkimer Madison and Lewis Counties in Central New York.
· Primary care: We are staffed by three Board Certified Internists, two Board Certified Family Practitioners and one Registered Physician's Assistant. We also have two highly experienced accredited Nurse Practitioners. We have a dedicated Women's Health Program. Rome CBOC operates on the patient aligned care team concept where each Veteran has a dedicated primary provider, nursing and administrative staff assigned to their care team.
· The staff at Rome CBOC performs a wide range of outpatient minor surgery and cryotherapy treatment.
· We also have a dedicated diabetes pharmacologist who sees patients on an individual basis to optimize their diabetes care.
· Mental health: Rome CBOC is home to a full complement of psychiatric and counseling services. Our team consists of psychiatrists and psychologists, nurses and social workers who perform both individual and group counseling. One of our psychologists specializes in the individual treatment of PTSD. We have a dedicated drug and alcohol rehabilitation counselor. Walk-ins are accepted for patients facing mental health emergencies. Smoking cessation: We have a dedicated Quit Smart program that combines counseling plus pharmacologic treatment assist Veterans in smoking cessation.
· Specialty Services: Services beyond primary care are available through our parent facility, the Syracuse VA Medical Center, approximately 60 miles to our west. Free transportation can be arranged for appointments at Syracuse VAMC
· Eye exams and treatment are conducted by appointment. Our part-time optician sees walk-in patients who need to order or repair glasses.
· Podiatry: We have podiatrists who do outpatient podiatry care by appointment.
· Radiology: We perform plain film x-ray on a daily basis and twice a week have full time vascular and routine ultrasound (non-obstetric).
· Physical therapy: We have two highly qualified full-time physical therapists and a fully equipped physical therapy clinic.
· Occupational therapy and Prosthetics: Several days a week we have visiting occupational therapists and prosthetists who perform various functions ranging from scooter evaluations to the creation of custom manufactured orthotics.
· Dietitian: Several days a week we have a dietitian who sees patients in either group settings or as individuals. The MOVE program is available for supervised weight loss management.
· Telehealth: We now have the ability to offer some outpatient specialty care not available locally via computer link up with specialties such as cardiology ,dermatology rheumatology and others. This eliminates the need for travel for many follow-up appointments that otherwise would have required travel to Syracuse.
· Dental Hygiene: SUNY Canton operates a dental hygiene education program in our facility. They offer dental hygiene and cleaning services to Veterans free of charge by appointment. Availability is on a first-come for served basis and is limited. Their telephone number is: 315-336-3484.
· Vocational Rehabilitation: Vocational rehabilitation services are available here through several full-time counselors by referral from a primary care provider.
· Geriatric Extended Care: We have a full team of providers dedicated to maintaining elderly patients in as independently capacity is possible. This includes, if necessary, visiting nurses, physical therapists, dietitians, occupational therapists, psychologists, and if the patient is completely homebound, a visiting nurse practitioner. We also operate an adult day health facility to provide respite care for families of eligible patients on a daily basis.
· Laboratory: We are laboratory draw station and serve over 100 patients a day.
· We occupy the former Griffiss Air Force Base Hospital in its entirety and parking is easily available and free. We are readily handicapped accessible.
We also offer Home Telehealth services. Please ask your primary care provider for more information.
Congested Heart Failure (CHF)
Mental Health (Psychiatry, Substance Abuse, Therapy and PTSD)