SYRACUSE VA TIMELINE 1953 - 2013
2013/14 - Constructing Intensive Care Unit and floors
2013 - Held 60th Anniversary, Formal Opening of Spinal Cord
Injury/Disorder Center and 6 Story Addition
2012 - Prosthetics Renovated, Relocated Dental Clinic to Erie Blvd,
2011 - Relocated Cardiology, Renovated Chapel
2010 - New Psychiatric Inpatient Unit; Renovated 5 East & West
2009 - Relocated Behavioral Health Outpatient Clinic to Erie Blvd,
Relocated Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Service
2008/11 - Completed Interior Renovation Projects (Angioplasty,
Histology, Low Vision, ICU Bathrooms, Canteen, Speech Path.)
2008 - Added 2 floors to Parking Garage
2005 - Opened New Heart Catheterization Area
2004 - Completed New Main Entrance, Renovated 1 South,
Completed New MRI/Imaging area, Opened Valor Inn
2003/05 - Renovated Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Service
2003 - Held 50th Anniversary Celebration, Built New Emergency
2001- Renovated Veterans Service Center
2001 - Opened Tompkins/Cortland County (Freeville)
Community Based Outpatient Clinic
2000 - Numerous patient care projects throughout medical center
2000 - James Cody, MPA, FACHE Named Director
2000 - Opened of Auburn Community Based Outpatient Clinic
1999 - Added 2 floors to Parking Garage, Renovated Veterans
1999 - Opened Oswego Community Based Outpatient Clinic
1997 - Opened New Eye Clinic on 2nd FL
1997 - Opened Binghamton Community Based Outpatient Clinic
1995 - Opened Rome Community Based Outpatient Clinic
1994/99 - Philip P. Thomas Named Director
1993 - Opened of Massena Community Based Outpatient Clinic
1993 - Opened Watertown Community Based Outpatient Clinic
1992 - Completed New Community Care Center
1989 - Garage Structure Built, Fire and Safety Improvements,
Patient Privacy, added Air Conditioning
1985/93 - Replaced Windows, Built 50 bed Nursing Home, Opened
New CAT Scan Unit
1982 - Completed Electric Modernization Project
1980/94 - Clyde B. Corsaro Named Director
1978 - Held 25th Anniversary Celebration
1977 - Remodeled Veterans Canteen Service
1972/79 - Wayne E. Sarius Named Director
1970/72 - Milton Michael, Jr. Named Director
1969/70 - Alan W. Chadwick Named Director
1964 - Research Wing Added
1962/69 - Morris C. Thomas, MD Named Director
1963 - Held 10th Anniversary Celebration
1956/62 - John Bosler Named Director
1956 - Treated over 12,000 area Veteran Patients by January 1956
1954 - Expanded Special Diseases Research Area
1954/56- George O. Pratt Named Director
1953 - Held Dedication Ceremony on June 14
1953 - Received first Veteran patient on June 10 : 21 year old
Edward L. Danquer, Jr.
1952/54 - Ralph S. Metheny Named Director
1951 - First Flag Raised on February 7
1949 - Official Ground breaking on December 8
A Brief History of the Veterans Health Administration (VHA)
Today’s Veterans Health Administration (VHA) originated during the Civil War as the first federal hospitals and domiciliaries ever established for the nation’s volunteer forces.
National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers (1865-1930)
On March 3, 1865, a month before the Civil War ended, President Abraham Lincoln authorized the first-ever national soldiers’ and sailors’ asylum to provide medical and convalescent care for discharged members of the Union Army and Navy volunteer forces. The asylum was the first of its kind in the world.
Two early soldiers’ homes were very small and housed up to 300 men. They provided medical care and long-term housing for thousands of Civil War veterans.
The national homes were often called “soldiers’ homes” or “military homes.” Initially only soldiers and sailors who served with the Union forces — including U.S. Colored Troops — were eligible for admittance. The first National Home opened near Augusta, Maine on November 1, 1866.
Many programs and processes begun at the national homes continue at VHA today. They were the first to accept women Veterans for medical care and hospitalization beginning in 1923.
By 1929, the national homes had grown to 11 institutions that spanned the country. All of the national homes have operated continuously since they opened.
Veterans Bureau (1921-1930)
On August 9, 1921, Congress created the Veterans Bureau by combining three World War I Veterans programs into one bureau.
World War I was the first fully mechanized war and soldiers exposed to mustard gas and other chemicals required specialized care. Tuberculosis and neuro-psychiatric hospitals opened to accommodate Veterans with respiratory or mental health problems.
Native Americans, on November 6, 1919, became eligible for full Veterans benefits, including health care. In 1924, Veterans’ benefits were liberalized to cover disabilities that were not service-related. In 1928, admission to the National Homes was extended to women, National Guard, and militia Veterans.
Veterans Administration (1930-1989)
The second consolidation of federal Veterans programs took place on July 21, 1930 when President Herbert Hoover consolidated the Veterans Bureau with the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers and Pension Bureau and re-designated it as the Veterans Administration.
General Frank Hines, Director of the Veterans Bureau since 1923, became the first Administrator of the VA. His tenure lasted 22 years and ended in 1945 when General Omar Bradley took the helm. In 1930, VA consisted of 45 hospitals. By 1945, the number had more than doubled to 97.
World War II ushered in a new era of expanded Veterans' benefits through the Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944, commonly referred to as the "G.I. bill", which was signed into law on June 22, 1944. General Omar Bradley took the reins at VA in 1945 and steered its transformation into a modern organization. In 1946, the Department of Medicine and Surgery was established within VA. VA was able to recruit and retain top medical personnel by modifying the Civil Service system. The first women doctors were hired in 1946. When Bradley left in 1947, there were 125 VA hospitals.
Dr. Paul Magnuson, a VA orthopedic surgeon and Chief Medical Director, 1948-1951, led the charge to create an affiliation program with America’s medical schools for medical research and training purposes. By 1948, 60 medical schools were affiliated with VA hospitals. Over the years, these collaborations resulted in groundbreaking advances in medicine, nursing, medical research, and prosthetics.
In the post-World War II period, 90 new and replacement Veterans hospitals were planned.
The first-ever successful human liver transplant operation took place at the Denver VA Medical Center in May 1963 under Dr. Thomas Starzl. In 1977, two VA doctors, Dr. Rosalyn Yalow (Bronx VAMC) and Dr. Andrew Schally (New Orleans VAMC) received the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for their work in developing radioimmunoassay of peptide hormones. Many modern medical advances originated as trials or experiments in VA hospitals and now benefit patients of all types worldwide.
Department of Veterans Affairs (since 1989)
The VA was elevated to a Cabinet-level Executive Department by President Ronald Reagan in October 1988. The change took effect on March 15, 1989, when the Veterans Administration was renamed the Department of Veterans Affairs, but retained use of “VA” as its acronym.
The Department of Medicine and Surgery was re-designated as the Veterans Health Services and Research Administration and on May 7, 1991, the name was changed to the Veterans Health Administration (VHA).
The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) is the largest of three administrations that comprise the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. VHA’s primary mission is to provide medical care and services to America’s military Veterans.
VHA operates one of the largest health care systems in the world and provides training for a majority of America’s medical, nursing, and allied health professionals. Roughly 60% of all medical residents obtain a portion of their training at VA hospitals and our medical research programs benefit society at-large.
Today’s VHA continues to meet Veterans’ changing medical, surgical, and quality of life needs. New programs provide treatment for traumatic brain injuries, post traumatic stress disorder, suicide prevention, women Veterans, and more.
VA opened outpatient clinics, established telemedicine, and other services to accommodate a diverse Veteran population and cultivates on-going medical research and innovation to improve the lives of America’s patriots.