Syracuse VA Medical Center
Donald J. Mitchell Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinic
Rome Community Based Outpatient Clinic serves approximately 6500 Veterans in serving Oneida , Herkimer Madison and Lewis Counties in Central New York. We occupy the former Griffiss Air Force Base Hospital in its entirety and parking is easily available and free. We are readily handicapped accessible.
- Primary care: We are staffed by three Board Certified Internists, two Board Certified Family Practitioners and one Registered Physician's Assistant. We also have two highly experienced accredited Nurse Practitioners. We have a dedicated Women's Health Program. Rome CBOC operates on the patient aligned care team concept where each Veteran has a dedicated primary provider, nursing and administrative staff assigned to their care team.
- The staff at Rome CBOC performs a wide range of outpatient minor surgery and cryotherapy treatment.
- We also have a dedicated diabetes pharmacologist who sees patients on an individual basis to optimize their diabetes care.
- Mental health: Rome CBOC is home to a full complement of psychiatric and counseling services. Our team consists of psychiatrists and psychologists, nurses and social workers who perform both individual and group counseling. One of our psychologists specializes in the individual treatment of PTSD. We have a dedicated drug and alcohol rehabilitation counselor. Walk-ins are accepted for patients facing mental health emergencies. Smoking cessation: We have a dedicated Quit Smart program that combines counseling plus pharmacologic treatment assist Veterans in smoking cessation.
- Specialty Services: Services beyond primary care are available through our parent facility, the Syracuse VA Medical Center, approximately 60 miles to our west. Free transportation can be arranged for appointments at Syracuse VAMC
- Eye exams and treatment are conducted by appointment.
- Podiatry: We have podiatrists who do outpatient podiatry care by appointment.
- Radiology: We perform plain film x-ray on a daily basis and twice a week have full time vascular and routine ultrasound (non-obstetric).
- Physical therapy: We have two highly qualified full-time physical therapists and a fully equipped physical therapy clinic.
- Occupational therapy and Prosthetics: Several days a week we have visiting occupational therapists and prosthetists who perform various functions ranging from scooter evaluations to the creation of custom manufactured orthotics.
- Dietitian: Several days a week we have a dietitian who sees patients in either group settings or as individuals. The MOVE program is available for supervised weight loss management
- Telehealth: We now have the ability to offer some outpatient specialty care not available locally via computer link up with specialties such as cardiology ,dermatology rheumatology and others. This eliminates the need for travel for many follow-up appointments that otherwise would have required travel to Syracuse.
- Vocational Rehabilitation: Vocational rehabilitation services are available here through several full-time counselors by referral from a primary care provider.
- Wole Health now being offered see below
- Geriatric Extended Care: We have a full team of providers dedicated to maintaining elderly patients in as independently capacity is possible. This includes, if necessary, visiting nurses, physical therapists, dietitians, occupational therapists, psychologists, and if the patient is completely homebound, a visiting nurse practitioner. We also operate an adult day health facility to provide respite care for families of eligible patients on a daily basis.
- Laboratory: We are laboratory draw station and serve over 100 patients a day.
We also offer Home Telehealth services. Please ask your primary care provider for more information.
Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)
Mental Health (Psychiatry, Substance Abuse, Therapy and PTSD)
Whole Health classes now being offered:
- For program questions, call 315-425-4400 ext. 53839
- To schedule an appointment with a coach or for a class/workshop: 315-425-2438
Qigong – gentle exercise involving movement ,breathing and mindfulness
Yoga – stretching exercises to build flexibility, relax the body, increase balance and stamina. Chair yoga also offered
Reiki – energy healing that promotes relaxation, may reduce pain and anxiety
Original Strength – a movement program that re-teaches the body to move the way it was designed to move, helps restore reflexive strength and stability
- Taking Charge of My Like & Health Group/6 sessions, 1x weekly for Women/Identify Female: 1-2:30 pm, room 1039 (by appointment only)
- REIKI: 8 am-12 pm, room 1049 (by appointment only)
- YOGA: 3:15-4:15 pm, basement conference room (walk-in)
- BFA (Auricular Needling): 1-2 pm, room 1049 (sign up at front desk)
• Taking Charge of My Life & Health Group/6 sessions, 1x weekly for CO-ED GROUP: 10:30 am -12pm, room 1039 (by appointment only)
• REIKI: 1 -3 pm, room 10 am, (by appointment only)
• QIGONG: 2-3 pm, basement conference room (walk-in/sign up at front desk)
• Original Strength: 10 am -12 pm, basement conference room (sign up at front desk)
• BFA (Auricular Needling): 9 -10 am, room 1049 (sign up at front desk)
Pain Management Treatments:
- Acupuncture ( Friday only, Dr consult required)
- Massage (Coming soon, Dr consult required)
- Whole Health Nutritional Consult ( consult required)